Kindness is in large supply in the world and this is even more evident among celebrities. Here are some actors and singers who have used their fame for their advocacy:
1. Angelina Jolie. No list of celebrity activists would ever be complete without the Special Envoy of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. The Academy Award winner got inspired to work for the welfare of refugees after seeing the humanitarian crisis in Cambodia firsthand while shooting the first “Tomb Raider”movie.
2. Lady Gaga. Gaga may be more known for her weird antics as a pop star but she used her influence to campaign for LGBT rights, youth empowerment issues, anti-bullying efforts and campus assault.
3. Matt Damon. Apart from his acting, Damon is known for his efforts to campaign for several causes like AIDS, poverty, clean water and hunger in Third World countries.
4. Viola Davis. As a Tony and Emmy winner, Davis has the power to open up opportunities for other acting performers of color in Hollywood.
5. Leonardo Dicaprio. He famously used his speech during the Oscars and Golden Globes last year to urge everyone to stop climate change and the exploitation of various indigenous peoples all over the world.
6. Meryl Streep. The most nominated actress in film history has been fighting for wage equality and women’s rights for years. She also donated all of her acting fee for the movie “The Iron Lady” to the National Women’s History.
7. Ben Affleck. He has been one of the most outspoken Democratic activists in Hollywood. Affleck was also very active in voter’s education and registration campaigns in several election cycles.
8. Natalie Portman. The Harvard graduate and Oscar winner is active in animal rights circles and has been known for shifting from vegetarianism to veganism in recent years.
9. Beyonce. The “Crazy In Love” singer has been using her platform as one of the world’s biggest pop stars to advocate for female empowerment. In her latest album, she wrote songs and shot videos of her experience as an African American woman.
10. Kerry Washington. Like Davis, Washington opened up many opportunities for actors of color in Hollywood. She became the first African American lead star of a network television show since the 1970s and she is progressive activist, advocating for causes like women’s financial independence and wage equality.
These celebrities only show that stardom can be used for more than just the salary and the fame. They used it to push for many causes that they are passionate about, eventually improving the lives of many people.